I love cycling, and in the summer I absolutely love to combine this hobby with a visit to a good ice cream parlour!
A good bike ride is made into a great bike ride with the addition of a good ice cream
Well, OK, I didn’t say that in 1979, but it’s pretty much the rule I follow these days!
The little beauty in the picture above is from Eiscafe Loisl in Cadolzburg, a delightful small town in Franconia not so far from Nuremberg. It is admittedly right next to a castle which crowns the top of a hill (yep, it’s a bit of a climb to get there if you’re already tired), but it’s well worth it – fabulous ice cream!
Some of my favourite places to grab an ice-cream in the Nuremberg area are as follows:
- Compo Stella (Mögeldorf)
- Cadore (Dutzendteich)
- Loisl’s (Cadolzburg and Fürth)
- Eisboutique (Zirndorf) – my 2017 test winner by some margin – read about that here
- Eis Cafe Carlo (Langenzenn)
- Dolomiddi (Fürth Südstadt, Lauf and Laufamholz)
- Eiscafe Quarta (by the station in Ansbach)
- Gelateria da Nunzio (Oberasbach)
- Eiscafe Girasole (Veitsbronn)
- If you’re in the town centre “Altstadt”, the best option by far is “Die Kleine Eismanufaktur” in the Weißgerbergasse – this has the added advantage of being the most photogenic street in town!
Some of these places will pop up in ride reports if the ice was particularly memorable!
In the countryside sometimes you might still get away with paying €1.00, but €1.10 seems like the average now. In the city centres, more like €1.30 or €1.40 is now unfortunately the norm. As a result, I don’t to be honest often recommend the ice cream shops right in the centre of cities since far better can be found elsewhere for a better price. Particularly in Nuremberg centre, I find the flavours to be pretty average and the orientation 100% to single-visit tourists for whom cost isn’t an issue
By far the most expensive ice-cream I’ve had in Germany was at Gelini in Regensburg at Gelini. The location is great in the centre of town but sorry, €1.70 per scoop is outrageous. By contrast, the best value I had was at Pizzeria Catania in Heilsbronn for only 80 cents. Sometimes you don’t always get what you pay for……